For many years, I struggled with low self-esteem and a lack of self-love. As a mom, I was so focused on taking care of my family that I forgot to take care of myself. But over time, I realised that I needed to learn to love and accept myself in order to be the best mom I could be. Here’s my journey to liking myself:
Step 1: Recognizing the Problem
The first step in my journey to liking myself was recognizing that I had a problem. I had spent so many years criticising myself and focusing on my flaws that I didn’t even realise that I was doing it. But once I started paying attention to my self-talk, I realised that I was my own worst critic.
Step 2: Changing My Mindset
Once I recognized the problem, I knew that I needed to change my mindset. Instead of focusing on my flaws, I started to focus on my strengths and the things that I loved about myself. I also started to practise self-compassion and give myself grace when I made mistakes.
Step 3: Prioritising Self-Care
As a mom, it can be easy to put our own needs last on the list. But I knew that in order to like myself, I needed to prioritise self-care. I started taking the time to do things that I enjoyed, like reading a book or taking a yoga class. I also made sure to take care of my physical health by exercising regularly and eating well.
Step 4: Surrounding Myself with Positivity
Another important step in my journey to liking myself was surrounding myself with positivity. I started seeking out friends who uplifted me and supported me, and I cut ties with people who brought me down. I also started listening to positive podcasts and reading books that inspired me.
Step 5: Seeking Help
Finally, I knew that I couldn’t do this alone. I sought out the help of a therapist who specialised in self-esteem and self-love. She helped me to identify negative patterns in my thinking and gave me practical tools for changing them. She also encouraged me to keep a gratitude journal, where I wrote down things that I was grateful for each day.
As I started to implement these changes in my life, I noticed a significant difference in the way I felt about myself. I began to see myself as worthy and deserving of love and respect. I felt more confident in my abilities as a mom and as a person. And most importantly, I started to like myself.
Of course, this journey wasn’t easy. There were times when I slipped back into old patterns of negative self-talk and self-criticism. But by continuing to practise self-compassion and self-care, I was able to get back on track.
Tips for Moms on a Similar Journey
If you’re a mom who struggles with self-esteem and self-love, I want you to know that you’re not alone. Here are some tips that helped me on my journey:
1. Practice self-compassion. When you make a mistake or fall short of your expectations, be gentle with yourself. Treat yourself as you would treat a friend.
2. Prioritise self-care. Take the time to do things that you enjoy and that make you feel good. Exercise, eat well, and get enough sleep.
3. Surround yourself with positivity. Seek out friends who uplift you and support you. Listen to positive podcasts and read books that inspire you.
4. Challenge negative self-talk. When you catch yourself thinking negative thoughts about yourself, challenge them. Ask yourself if they’re really true, or if they’re just a product of your own insecurities.
5. Seek help if you need it. There’s no shame in seeking out the help of a therapist or counsellor if you are struggling.
Don’t miss these other popular read:
My name is Laura, and as a mother of two, I understand firsthand the joys and challenges of raising a child. That’s why I created this website, to provide a comprehensive and trustworthy source of information and support for new and expectant parents. Find the best baby names here!