You have reached the best website dedicated to Abby’s middle name.
When deciding to start a family, you’ll face a plethora of options.
Choosing a name for your child, among other parenting tasks, may leave you feeling overwhelmed.
You’ve decided on Abby as the baby’s first name, and we’re here to help you find a good middle name to complement it.
Get comfortable, because we’re going to talk about Abby and what that means.
Meaning and Origin of Abby
“Abby” is a given name that is often used as a diminutive (short form) for the names “Abigail” in English-speaking countries.
- Abigail originates from the Hebrew name אֲבִיגַיִל (‘Avigayil) meaning “my father is joy”. It is found in the Old Testament of the Bible, where Abigail is the wife of David, King of Israel. She was initially the wife of a man named Nabal, who insulted David. Abigail stepped in, apologized to David on her husband’s behalf, and convinced David not to harm them. Nabal died shortly afterwards, and Abigail then married David. Because of her role in this narrative, Abigail has traditionally been considered as a woman of good judgement and politeness in the Bible.
The short form “Abby” became popular in the United States and other English-speaking countries, and is often used as a given name in its own right.
You might also like:
Best Middle Names for Abby
Here are the 200 best middle names for Abby you can consider:
- Abby Adelaide – Noble kind
- Abby Amelie – Hardworking one
- Abby Arabella – Answered prayer
- Abby Aurora – Dawn’s light
- Abby Azure – Sky blue
- Abby Beatrice – Happy traveler
- Abby Beatriz – Blessed traveler
- Abby Bianca – White pure
- Abby Blanche – White
- Abby Blythe – Carefree spirit
- Abby Bryony – Vine sprout
- Abby Camille – Young ceremonial attendant
- Abby Caroline – Free spirit
- Abby Catherine – Pure classic
- Abby Cecily – Blind one
- Abby Celeste – Heavenly divine
- Abby Charlotte – Feminine royalty
- Abby Christine – Christian follower
- Abby Claire – Clear and bright
- Abby Constance – Steadfast loyalty
- Abby Dahlia – Valley flower
- Abby Danielle – Godly strength
- Abby Daphne – Laurel tree
- Abby Dawn – Daybreak
- Abby Deirdre – Sorrowful lady
- Abby Delilah – Delicate temptress
- Abby Dior – Golden
- Abby Eden – Paradise delight
- Abby Edith – Prosperous in war
- Abby Elizabeth – Timeless classic
- Abby Elle – She
- Abby Eowyn – Horse joy
- Abby Esme – Esteemed love
- Abby Estelle – Star
- Abby Eugenia – Well-born noble
- Abby Faye – Fairy belief
- Abby Fern – Green plant
- Abby Fiona – Fair beauty
- Abby Fleur – Flower bloom
- Abby Florence – Flourishing bloom
- Abby Frances – Free one
- Abby Freya – Noble lady
- Abby Genevieve – Tribe woman
- Abby Giselle – Pledge bright
- Abby Gloria – Glorious praise
- Abby Grace – Elegant charm
- Abby Guinevere – Fair phantom
- Abby Gwen – White circle
- Abby Gwendolyn – White ring
- Abby Harmony – Musical peace
- Abby Haven – Safe place
- Abby Hazel – Nut tree
- Abby Helena – Shining light
- Abby Hermione – Messenger stone
- Abby Honora – Woman of honor
- Abby Hope – Expectation
- Abby Ilene – Light torch
- Abby Imogen – Innocent maiden
- Abby Ines – Holy chaste
- Abby Ingrid – Beautiful goddess
- Abby Iona – Sacred island
- Abby Iris – Rainbow messenger
- Abby Isabelle – Romantic allure
- Abby Isla – Island
- Abby Jane – Classic simplicity
- Abby Jasmine – Fragrant bloom
- Abby Jewel – Precious gemstone
- Abby Joy – Blissful cheer
- Abby Juliet – Youthful love
- Abby June – Month
- Abby Katarina – Pure beauty
- Abby Katharine – Pure one
- Abby Keira – Little dark-haired one
- Abby Kendra – High hill
- Abby Kiara – Bright and clear
- Abby Kimber – Royal fortress
- Abby Kinsley – King’s meadow
- Abby Laurel – Honored triumph
- Abby Leilani – Heavenly flower
- Abby Lenore – Light torch
- Abby Leona – Lioness strength
- Abby Liliana – Lily purity
- Abby Lorelei – Luring rock
- Abby Louise – Warrior maiden
- Abby Lucia – Light bearer
- Abby Luna – Moonlight beauty
- Abby Maeve – Intoxicating joy
- Abby Magnolia – Fragrant flower
- Abby Marianne – Bitter grace
- Abby Marielle – Bitter sea
- Abby Matilda – Battle might
- Abby May – Spring flower
- Abby Meadow – Grassy field
- Abby Michelle – Divine gift
- Abby Monroe – Mouth of the Roe
- Abby Morgan – Sea defender
- Abby Naomi – Pleasantness
- Abby Nerissa – Sea nymph
- Abby Neroli – Orange blossom
- Abby Neve – Snow brightness
- Abby Nicole – Victory people
- Abby Noa – Motion beauty
- Abby Noelle – Christmas birth
- Abby Noemi – Delightful pleasantness
- Abby Octavia – Eighth born
- Abby Odette – Wealthy melody
- Abby Olive – Peaceful dove
- Abby Opal – Jewel brilliance
- Abby Opaline – Jewel-like
- Abby Oriana – Dawning gold
- Abby Paige – Young servant
- Abby Paisley – Church settlement
- Abby Patience – Enduring virtue
- Abby Pearl – Precious jewel
- Abby Penelope – Weaver’s craft
- Abby Phoenix – Mythical bird
- Abby Piper – Flute player
- Abby Priscilla – Ancient time
- Abby Prudence – Wise caution
- Abby Quiana – Silky fabric
- Abby Quinlan – Shapely grace
- Abby Quin – Wise counsel
- Abby Quinn – Wisdom
- Abby Quintessa – Fifth essence
- Abby Rae – Ewe’s grace
- Abby Raina – Queenly advice
- Abby Reagan – Little ruler
- Abby Renee – Rebirth symbol
- Abby Rhea – Flowing stream
- Abby Robyn – Bright fame
- Abby Rosalind – Beautiful rose
- Abby Rosamund – Rose protection
- Abby Rose – Floral beauty
- Abby Roxanne – Dawn star
- Abby Rowan – Red tree
- Abby Sabrina – River boundary
- Abby Sapphire – Blue gemstone
- Abby Savannah – Open plain
- Abby Selena – Lunar goddess
- Abby Seraphina – Fiery wings
- Abby Serenity – Peacefulness
- Abby Sienna – Reddish-brown hue
- Abby Simone – Hearkening listener
- Abby Sophia – Wise elegance
- Abby Stella – Star shine
- Abby Sydney – Wide meadow
- Abby Tabitha – Graceful gazelle
- Abby Tamsin – Twin
- Abby Taryn – Little rock
- Abby Tatiana – Fairy queen
- Abby Teagan – Beautiful poet
- Abby Tessa – Bountiful harvester
- Abby Thalia – Blooming joy
- Abby Theodora – God’s gift
- Abby Tiffany – God’s appearance
- Abby Uma – Tranquility
- Abby Una – Lamb
- Abby Undine – Wave spirit
- Abby Unity – Harmonious bond
- Abby Ursula – Little bear
- Abby Ursuline – Little female bear
- Abby Valerie – Strong valor
- Abby Valeria – Strong valor
- Abby Vanessa – Butterfly essence
- Abby Verity – Truth
- Abby Veronica – True image
- Abby Victoria – Regal splendor
- Abby Viola – Violet flower
- Abby Viviana – Alive and vibrant
- Abby Vivica – Life
- Abby Vivienne – Lively beauty
- Abby Waverly – Meadow quaking
- Abby Whitney – White island
- Abby Willow – Graceful nature
- Abby Winifred – Blessed peace
- Abby Winter – Cold season
- Abby Wisteria – Wishing vine
- Abby Wren – Tiny bird
- Abby Xandra – Defending men
- Abby Xandria – Defender of mankind
- Abby Xanthe – Golden light
- Abby Xena – Hospitable
- Abby Xenia – Hospitable love
- Abby Xenobia – Foreign life
- Abby Xiomara – Famous battle
- Abby Yael – God’s strength
- Abby Yara – Seagull
- Abby Yasmin – Fragrant flower
- Abby Yasmine – Fragrant blossom
- Abby Yolanda – Violet flower
- Abby Yvette – Yew archer
- Abby Yvonne – Yew tree
- Abby Zadie – Princess
- Abby Zara – Blooming flower
- Abby Zelda – Gray fighting maiden
- Abby Zephyrine – Gentle breeze
- Abby Zinnia – Lasting affection
- Abby Zoe – Vibrant life
- Abby Zola – Earth
- Abby Zora – Dawn’s light
Nicknames for Abby
Names like Abby are both rare and common. It’s likely that you’re surrounded by numerous other people with this name.
If you want your child to stand out, consider giving him one of these creative names:
- Baby Abby
These nicknames can be used informally among friends and family. However, it’s always best to use a nickname that the person enjoys and identifies with.
How to Pick a Middle Name for Abby
Choosing an appropriate middle name is of paramount importance. Below are eight essential things to keep in mind when deciding on the perfect middle name for your child:
1. The Significance of a Personalized Middle Name
Have you contemplated giving your baby a middle name that holds personal significance? It can be a great way to connect them to your family’s heritage or an exclusive tradition that holds special meaning to you.
Imagine your child growing up with a name that reminds them of their roots or a unique family narrative. Selecting a middle name that carries a particular significance is an excellent way to establish a lasting connection between your baby and your family’s traditions.
2. The Harmony of the Names
When naming your child, it’s vital to consider how the first, middle, and last names blend together. You want a name that flows seamlessly and feels unified.
Avoid names that sound alike or rhyme, as this can become an annoyance when your child becomes an adult. Instead, opt for names that complement each other and create a harmonious sound.
Choosing a middle name with one or two syllables tends to work well with most first names. By taking the time to find names that match, you’ll give your child a name they can be proud of for years to come.
3. The Importance of Saying Your Baby’s Name Out Loud
Have you ever noticed that a baby’s name can sound different when spoken out loud than when written on paper? That’s because the way a name looks on paper doesn’t always match the way it sounds when spoken aloud.
It’s critical to say your baby’s name out loud to ensure that it sounds just the way you want it to. You may discover that a name you love on paper doesn’t quite fit when spoken aloud.
By pronouncing the name out loud, you can ensure that it sounds perfect. So, take the time to speak your baby’s name aloud and make any necessary changes to achieve the perfect sound.
4. Don’t Rush
Choosing the ideal name for your baby is a crucial decision, and it’s important to take your time to select the right one. Don’t be too quick to choose the first name you come across.
Explore a variety of names before making your final decision. Remember that changing a registered name can be complicated, so it’s best to take your time and avoid any future regrets.
Take comfort in the fact that the perfect name will come with a little patience and an open mind.
5. Creating Your Own Legacy
When it comes to naming your baby, you may wonder if you should stick to a family tradition or custom. While some families have unique naming practices, it’s ultimately up to you to decide whether you want to follow those traditions.
For instance, during the 18th and 19th centuries in England, the first son was often named after the father’s father. However, if you don’t feel a strong connection to a particular family tradition, don’t be afraid to create your own.
You have the freedom to choose a name that feels right for your baby and your family. Whether you choose to follow a family tradition or create your own, the most important thing is to select a name that you and your partner love and that feels special to you.
6. The Importance of Initials
When naming your baby, it’s important to consider their full name, including their initials. You’ll want to avoid any initials that could form unintended and potentially embarrassing acronyms.
To ensure that your baby’s initials don’t spell out something that could cause them discomfort in the future, write down their full name and double-check their initials.
This straightforward step can help you avoid any unintended consequences and ensure that your baby’s name is one that they can be proud of.
7. Honoring Your Roots or Creating New Traditions: The Importance of Choosing a Middle Name
When selecting a middle name for your child, you have a chance to pay tribute to your family’s history or establish a new custom that is distinct to your family. Whether you want to commemorate a deceased relative or begin a novel tradition, a middle name presents the perfect opportunity.
Middle names are unique since they are gender-neutral and can incorporate both male and female family members. By selecting a significant middle name, you can form a long-lasting bond with your family’s past or initiate a novel tradition that will be handed down for generations.
It’s vital to remember that there are no strict guidelines when it comes to choosing a middle name. Take the time to consider what matters most to you and your family. Whether you’re celebrating your heritage or creating a new tradition, the choice is entirely yours!
8. Why Choose One When You Can Have Two? The Benefits of Multiple Middle Names
Why settle for a single middle name when you can have two? If you’re struggling to decide between two middle names that you adore, why not include both? Multiple middle names are trendy all over the world, and there’s a good reason for it.
They provide an excellent solution if you and your partner have a wealth of options and can’t settle on one name. Furthermore, having multiple middle names may be an enjoyable method of expressing your imagination and individuality.
So, don’t be hesitant to think beyond the norm and contemplate several middle names for your child. After all, why settle for one when you can have two?
7 Reasons Why Middle Names Are Awesome
Middle names are more than just an afterthought. Here are seven reasons why you should give your child one (or more!):
- Make Them Special: Adding a middle name can make your child’s name even more unique and memorable.
- Embrace Tradition: Giving your child a middle name is a long-standing tradition that adds depth and meaning to their name.
- Better Fit: A middle name can help bridge the gap between your child’s first name and last name, making the name sound more familiar and complete.
- Honor Loved Ones: Use a middle name to remember a special person or pay tribute to someone extraordinary.
- Inspiring Stories: Middle names can come with inspiring tales and personal significance.
- Historical Roots: The concept of middle names traces back to ancient Rome, where they were used to differentiate between different families.
- They’re Just Fun: Let’s face it, middle names are just plain fun! They give you another opportunity to be creative and add personality to your child’s name.
Names Similar to Abby
Many names can be used in place of Abby if you decide to change it. Here’s a list of 20 names similar to it:
Some names with similar meanings or connotations include Joy, Felicity, and Beatrice, all of which have connotations of happiness or joy, similar to Abby (from Abigail, meaning “my father is joy”).
Famous Persons Named Abby
Here are 10 famous persons named Abby:
- Abby Wambach: An American retired professional soccer player, coach, and two-time Olympic gold medalist. A forward, she is the highest all-time goal scorer for the U.S. national team.
- Abby Lee Miller: An American dance instructor, choreographer, and reality television personality. She is the founder of the Abby Lee Dance Company and appeared on the reality television series “Dance Moms” for eight seasons.
- Abby Huntsman: An American journalist and television personality. She was a co-host of ABC’s “The View” and previously worked as a general assignment reporter for Fox News Channel.
- Abby Elliott: An American actress and comedian who was a cast member on “Saturday Night Live” and starred in the Bravo series “Odd Mom Out”. She is the daughter of actor/comedian Chris Elliott.
- Abby Brammell: An American actress, best known for her role as Tiffy Gerhardt on the CBS military drama “The Unit”.
- Abby Dahlkemper: An American professional soccer player who currently plays as a defender for Manchester City in the English Women’s Super League, and for the United States national team.
- Abby Johnson: An American anti-abortion activist who previously worked at Planned Parenthood as a clinic director, but resigned in 2009.
- Abby Stein: An American transgender author, speaker, and activist. She is a direct descendant of Hasidic Judaism’s founder the Baal Shem Tov, and was ordained as a rabbi in 2011 before coming out as transgender and leaving the Hasidic community.
- Abby Phillip: An American journalist who works as a political correspondent and anchor for CNN.
- Abby Sunderland: An American former sailor who, in 2010, attempted to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world without stopping. Her journey ended when her boat dismasted in rough seas.
Variations of Abby
“Abby” is often a nickname for “Abigail”, but there are many variations of these names in different languages and cultures. Here are some of them:
- Abigail – English
- Abigael – English
- Abigale – English
- Abagale – English
- Abbie – English
- Abbey – English
- Abi – English
- Gobnait – Irish (this name shares a root with Abigail, meaning “little dear”)
- Abigaëlle – French
- Abigaïl – French
- Abigél – Hungarian
- Abigayil – Hebrew
- Avigayil – Hebrew
- Apikalia – Hawaiian
- Abaigeal – Irish
- Abaigail – Spanish
- Abegail – Spanish
- Abigel – Hungarian
- Abbigale – English (less common variant)
- Abbigayle – English (less common variant)
Please note that while these names have a similar origin to “Abby”, they might not all be used as the equivalent in their respective cultures or languages. For example, someone named “Abigaëlle” in France might not go by “Abby” unless they were in an English-speaking context.
Have you found the best option for Abby’s middle name? If that’s the case, allow us to help you with a quick name search.
It’s commonly believed that the name you give your child will have lasting effects on them.
As a result, it’s important to give your child a name that truly represents who they are.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the meaning of the name Abby?
Abby is a name of Hebrew origin and is a diminutive form of the name Abigail. It means “my father is joy” or “my father’s delight.”
Is Abby a nickname or a full name?
Abby can be both. It’s often used as a nickname or shortened form of the name Abigail, but it’s also used as a full first name on its own.
How popular is the name Abby?
The popularity of the name Abby varies by region and over time. Abby is a moderately popular name. It’s not among the most common names, but it’s familiar to most people and used fairly regularly.
My name is Laura, and as a mother of two, I understand firsthand the joys and challenges of raising a child. That’s why I created this website, to provide a comprehensive and trustworthy source of information and support for new and expectant parents. Find the best baby names here!